Saturday, February 20, 2010

Company

I come within a hair's breadth of breaking down at the thought of company.
Company scares me. In complete earnestness,
it debilitatingly scares me. Shuts down my brain to all reason.
I would rather sleep on a haunted Gettysburg battlefield to get my thrills.
Company coming means somebody might uncover the other us.
The (Cough *Boring/Average/Reclussive* Cough...) us that we're all privately,
perfectly content with;
but that I tend to conveniently brush over
in the public email/blog/Christmas card us.
(What? I flatter myself? My brush strokes aren't broad enough, nor the paint
thick enough? Pshaw. You do go on.)

Fortunately every time, and just in the nick of time,
Bert snaps me out of the thumb sucking, fetal position with this pep talk;
"Geez Rachel, they're not coming to see you put on a show.
You're not that good of an actor.
They're coming because they love us.
Nobody takes time out of their own busy schedules to visit unless
they love you."

That hope- along with the thought of missing out on something-
or not seeing some of my favorite people in life-
or missing the opportunity of getting spring cleaning out of the kids,
is just enough
to resuscitate me.

And afterwards. I'm always so, so grateful.
What a blessing company is!
There's nothing better in the world than to be reminded that you're loved.
Especially when you seem to easily forget that.
Nothing.
And I fervently hope that our company knows we love them too.

Abe and Grace, thank you. From the bottom of our hearts,
thank you. We are so excited for you both. Abe, your West Point picture goes on
our hero wall as soon as you are deployed. Would you prefer to be between Winston Churchill and Ulysses Grant, or are you more of a John Brown and Stonewall Jackson type guy? All of them kicked butt... so I'm thinking either would be appropriate.

Morgan, Jesse tries to claim you just for herself,

but it doesn't quite work that way...
You've been in the family too long for that.

Any more company ready to come this month,
while I'm still in the right frame of mind??
Please?
We need you.


Because without you, trash and dish 'Jenga' might go on indefinitely...
And even the most competitive gamers- like ourselves,
have a limit to such fun.