Listening to the radio and looking out the window he said, "Hey Mom, when I have kids and you're a Grandma, would you mind being extra mean to them for me?"
"Uh.... well, I don't know. Why?"
"Because I think they'll probably need it."
I laughed and silently agreed. He's a real marshmallow.
A while later he said, "And if you were the super nice- as in extra, extra spoiling nice- Grandma to Cache's kids... well, that would probably be good too. "
It's always good to know yourselves, and my future role seems secure.
Speaking of Justin, he was recently called - give or take a month- to be our ward Sunday School President. He's thought all along he was ready to 'grow up', but recently I've caught him looking longingly back to the past. It's a good thing he gets to ring the bell.

And speaking of Cache, he is now a seminary graduate. And a darned impressive one too. He received all the awards he could have. Good to him and many thanks to dedicated teachers. Although he'll have to get up at the same time as always this fall, to take Jesse and Calder to seminary, he still insists he's 'free'.
"Think of all the possibilities I'll have! I can jog, I can read any book I want, I can sleep in the car while I wait....., anything!"
I hate to burst his bubble. Five years ago that's exactly what I thought; and I happen to be in the exact same physical condition, not much smarter, and still tired by noon. 'Happy freedom to him' anyway.
Cache and fellow grad Mike, with early morning seminary
teacher Sister Mason
teacher Sister Mason
Switching gears...
Here is Maddie and Bert on Father's Day. He deserves Maddie's masterpiece, as he made some darn good kids!
Calder was hot and bored the other day, and tried to see how fast he could make the Tower of Babel. Afterward I gave him one of my favorite books, "Life of Pi." I don't think he's bored anymore, his light was on this morning at two. However, sometime in the next couple of hours when he finishes I'm expecting a very angry tirade. I'll just pull out the blocks again, or maybe a fishing pole. 13 year olds are great, aren't they?
And finally we have Jesse at girl's camp. It rained a hot rain on them all week long. It was the same week the floods in Arkansas took out a campground, and all of those sad stories of the campers. Girl's camp was about two hours from there. The river in the background rose one afternoon while they were stuck in their cabins. Jesse said it was a little surreal to see the water rushing under the doors and steadily climbing up their legs as they sat on the chairs. I was grateful all was well.
That's about it. Happy Sunday.