I drove two hours to get an international driver's license yesterday. I finally found the hole in the wall business that offered them. It took all of four minutes. They asked for my signature, a picture, and fifteen dollars. They got out their glue stick, folded a piece of cardboard to stick it on, and stamped it. That's it! I'm pretty sure I could have manufactured a similar document at home.
"Really, that's it?"
"Yup. Have a great trip!"
"Do you have any pamphlets or international driving directions I should read? Like maybe what side of the road I'll be driving on, or..., or something?"
"Nope."
"How about any signs in other languages that I should be aware of?"
"Nope. You'll be fine."
"Have you done it before then?"
"Nope."
"oh. ok.... Well, goodbye!"
I was a little unnerved.
But, I suppose not nearly as much as the officer and thirty or so panicked drivers, who had to swerve and dodge me when I pulled out of the driver's license office, into one-way, oncoming traffic. At 50mph.
In the words of Charlie Sheen...
"WINNING!"