My wonderful niece Rachel picked them up from the airport, taught them how to use the metro, how to read a map, and gave them a place to sleep at night. She also set up a few tours for them with the Idaho State Senate Office, and took them to my nephew Levi's house in Virginia- for a visit during their 10 day stay. They had a fabulous time!
But this - all seven pictures (and a stolen one from Levi)- is about all the proof that I have.







Although I was a little disgusted with their inability to follow explicit directions: calling/picture taking, I did enjoy some of their dialogue afterward.
Calder - "Color was used everywhere in clothes, cars, and signs - trying to catch your attention. If you wanted to hide in the city you should wear a read shirt, and if you needed to be found you should wear camo."
Calder - "Everybody was just another person until you talked to them personally. But that didn't usually happen, mostly you just viewed people in regard to how you felt that day. If you were sick or in a bad mood, you saw the sick and bad in people. But, if you were ready to learn and joyful, you saw grand and funny things in them."
Jesse - "It may feel awkward to meet somebody in the beginning, but you never leave regretting a new acquaintance. I kept thinking, 'remember the worth of souls is great,' and that it was important to try to get to know people around me. We're all worth so much, it would be a pity to miss our opportunities."
Jesse - "During rush hour the metro is packed with people on top of people. Everyone's trying to fit themselves in these cars and the doors just start to shut on arms, legs, bags, etc... It's incredible that with hundreds of people around you, that's the time when you can feel the most alone. An elderly man saw that I was having a hard time with my balance and grabbed my arm to steady me. That man showed me that it's the small things that touch people, not the great big events. It's the simple feeling of being noticed that helps and goes such a long way."
They were so busy 'experiencing' and 'meeting', that maybe I didn't need as many pictures as I thought. In fact, I think I've learned more from their stories and thoughts than I would have from a hundred pictures,... maybe even the proverbial thousand.
I hope it doesn't take another two years before they earn enough for the next one. I'd like my vicarious education to be on a little faster track than that.
Calder and Jesse - you earned it, you deserved it, and you're both amazing.