Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother of the Century - at least in her husband's opinion

Rachel and her brood in Louisiana

This blog has been hacked by Rachel's husband. Due to Mother's Day and Rachel's 40th birthday coming up on Friday the 13th, I've taken over her site and submitted by own blog. hint - I've even changed her blog so you can leave comments. You better get after it though because it will only take her about a week to guess the new password.





A few years ago a friend in Tehachapi talked the kids into submitting Rachel for Mother of the Year to the local newspaper's annual contest. I was already enjoying our prize figuring she would win on sheer volume alone. However, Rachel didn't have a shot, the eventual winner had shaven her head to make wigs for cancer kids and adopted war torn orphans from some distant country. Knowing Rachel would never part with her hair and adopting was out of the question, we decided to give up on glory and riches from The Tehachapi News ( her fondness for other people's children has always reminded me of the cows were you have to skin the hide of the dead calf to get her to take a new calf, definitely not the Holstein nurse cow raising four calves at a time)

In my probably biased but humble opinion, Rachel epitomizes the word Mother. She has devoted her whole life to being the best Mother she could be. When young she played being a mother, watched shows and read books that would help her be a good mother. Her favorite was Little House on the Prairie. She studied her Sisters and those around her on what and what not to do and how to best raise children. As a young women she never tried to hide or be ashamed of her ambitions. She went to BYU and majored in Animal Science thinking that would be the best place to find a suitable husband (although she did get her scholarship from animal science, so she says she had to major in that, but one fellow animal science major knows the real reason). She accomplished her goal in less than a year and then took child development classes or other classes that interested her the following year. I try to tease her about getting her Mrs degree but she has never let it rile her. After we were married she told me she knew how many children we would have. I don't know if this would have been a deal breaker if she had told me before. Lately she told me she even knew it would be 5 boys and 2 girls. One could be cynical but it wouldn't surprise me in the least that she had some revelation on her future. She has always approached her role with a purpose and a plan.


teaching the young uns about Russia and icons


As a mother she has given her all to her children but I think always in a healthy way. She has always made me feel like our marriage is the most important thing to her. She is constantly gathering me in and helping me be a partner in parenting. My children have always been well mannered, well learned and a joy to be around and I know its through her efforts this is so. So at least in my newspaper you will always be the Mother of the Century!

Rachel and Justin looking at his mission call



Taking the kids to the Ft. Worth Zoo



Teaching the kids how to work



Fancying up Jesse for the Prom



Reenacting the Battle of Vicksburg with Hy



Rachel in Europe
the place Rachel someday may blog about



Hy in the Tub

Hydn in the Tub was the inspiration for this post. A few months back Rachel told me, if I die you will need to do something for me. Do you see this plastic spider in the shower? Yes, I said, I've noticed it everyday for a few months now. She said, When Hy was younger and he could bathe on his own but still needed somebody to watch over him, I would take a shower next to the tub so I could watch him but still be somewhat productive. He started throwing this spider over the wall and I would pretend I was scared. He would giggle and it would take him 10 or so throws to get it over, so it keep him occupied. As he got older and was able to throw it over every time, I figured it was time to stop showering in front of him. But, when I would get in the shower in the morning the spider would always be there on the floor. I throw it back over everyday and the next day its there on the shower floor. If I'm gone, you'll will need to throw that spider back over everyday.

Here's to hoping I never have that job. Happy Mothers Day and Happy 40th Birthday.