Friday, March 14, 2014

"He duhn't peak Engwish vewy dood." - Hy ...Irony at it's finest.

   We had the plumber out today. Whereas I thought I was going to be safe by calling the largest plumbing company in the county, it turns out that it means it's just the largest employer of native speaking 'Jim Bob's' in the greater Texoma region. I panicked when my particular service provider called on the phone to ask directions to the house – If I couldn't understand a simple conversation including north, south, east or west, I knew we were headed for a pickle when it came to talking technical terms.
But, you know what? Turns out he was the perfect plumber for us. I heard he and Hydn having a full blown conversation out Maddie's window. It lasted a good ten minutes. Maddie and I were too busy holding our breath to be able to hear details very well. However, from the sounds of it, they both seemed to understand each other with minimal difficulties.
When the service provider came back in with Hy dogging his heels, he drawled (and I painstakingly deciphered), “Don't worry, I got a little five year old grandson with a speech impediment too. His name is Lucky.”
Bwahahahahaha!
...except, he was serious.
Then my laugh turned into more of an embarrassed throat clearing. The provider, with true southern charm, politely ignored my gaffe and continued to talk. He talked, and talked, and talked. I picked out a word here and there, and nodded my head when it seemed appropriate.
He was very sweet.
When he left Maddie said, “Whoosh... Close one, Mom. I thought for a minute there I was going to have to run in and yell, “HELP! MY CAT'S IN THE OVEN! to get him to quit talking.”*
   
Oh gosh, just can't quit smiling over the whole thing. The humor gods have just been too kind to me today.

*Maddie is referring to a meeting I attended when we first moved to Durant. We were being trained on how to avoid a mugging – or worse. A volunteer included some advice that she'd heard and planned on trying if ever needed.  She said that by yelling the above statement we would throw off any would be attacker. Because it catches them off guard, you see.  Fortunately, I've never had to test it's veracity.