*Yesterday
he came into the bedroom as I was doing my hair and leaned against
the bed. He crossed his legs and had his elbows propped up
behind him as he leaned back in an old western pose. He said,
"Mom," then pretended to spit and said in his best slow
drawl, "I'm a Cowboy." (spit again) "And I'm gunna go
feed the ducks!"
*In a sudden, somewhat unexpected move, Hydn's decided to become an artist. You now have the chance to recreate Winslow Homer's success story. He is painting pictures by the thousands and requests/begs that Maddie take them to the bistro to hang on their walls and sell. He's already spent the money in his head, so be a good brother and get over there and buy one. Or maybe just grab a handful of them stashed behind the seat in Maddie's truck - cuz I'm not sure she's actually hung them yet.
*Hydn's good deed for the day was to make Halloween pictures for the neighbors. They turned into postage sized drawings of ghosts that not even a piece of tape could fit on comfortably. He happily skipped from one door to the next to deliver them. Then he came back to get the camera -you know- so he could, "take pictures of how happy the people were to see him." So funny. I let him... just because I was curious to see just how happy they were myself.
* Hydn
and Dad are on shaky ground this week, "Hey Dad, are the Cowboys
your football team because you used
to be a cowboy?"
Apparently Dad was once cool, back when we had hay growing, horses in
the pasture, and A cow.
Now he's just dad with a small 'd', and he should probably
think about changing his football team.
*Hy
asked me the other day when he would do, "that thing.... you
know where you go under the water and a lot of people are there?"
"You
mean baptism?"
"Yeah,
baptism."
"Well,
I'm not sure. I'm still thinking about it. Do you know
what it means to be baptized?"
"Yup!
It means when you get baptized all your prayers come true!"
"uh...not
exactly."
"Well
that's what they teach me in primary!"
Awkward
moment when you tell your kid not to believe everything they teach
you at church.
*In
primary they did a talent show for celebration of completing the
children's program.... of which I was unaware. Apparently Hy
was just as unaware because he said if he'd only known, he'd have
taken his recorder and played Hot Cross Buns. Their loss,
right? I
asked what he did instead. He assured me he was sufficiently
able to pull another talent out of his pocket for just such
emergencies. I choked, "oh no..... what was it?"
"I
told them my jokes!"
It
was just as I feared. "What jokes did you tell them
Hydn?"
"My
two best ones!"
In
dread, ".......the ones you made up this summer?"
"Yup!
They liked them a lot!"
Joke
#1 - A guy drinks milk. The guy says, "this tastes like milk."
Joke
#2 - A horse walked up to a volcano and said, "It's hot!"
I
kid you not. That was his best material. I blame Jesse,
Maddie, and Paladin for laughing at them earlier this summer.
Maybe
I should kill two birds with one stone and save Hydn from primary,
while saving the primary from Hydn.