Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Halloween

Our Halloween started Friday night. Jesse and Cache took
Justin and Calder to a spook alley for their
birthdays. It was Bert and my date night, so we tagged along.
I haven't been to a spook alley in 20+ years.
It's a waste of money when your eyes are closed, and your ears are plugged-
the entire time.
But, I nervously decided to give it one more try.
Before we left, Maddie brought me a surprise. I was to keep this little gem
tucked in my pocket and pull it out only in the direst of circumstance.

(A small baggie with a garlic and a note)

The note said,
Translation - God Be With You
Mom, it's fake.
I love you

I'm happy to report that despite a faulty
bladder, Maddie's initiative proved successful.
(It also helps that I am now well beyond
the targeted demographic)

Saturday, we got up to Bert making us breakfast. Then we
decided to abandon responsibility and take a road trip.
We went over near the Arkansas border to enjoy the colors.

We hiked a most beautiful area.
We jumped streams (some more nimbly than others).

We posed....

.....

.....


and posed.

We found cool things.

We threw fits.
We climbed hills,

and we climbed trees.

And when the sun went down, we made a campfire
and roasted our supper. While we packed
up, the younger four dressed in costumes. Then we made our
way to the nearest town and hoped we'd strike it rich.

We found a few veins, but they were pretty tapped out.
After the fifth house, Bert said, "That's it.
I refuse to take
any more candy from poor, old widows."
(It might have helped if they were the cackling kind.
And somewhat they were;
with the missing teeth and
the dangling cigarette. But mostly
they were the sweet kind, with
housecoats and cats... not black)

But, to our disappointment
the candy bags were pathetically light...
Good news! The kids' were blessed with intelligent parents.

Trick - or - Treat Walmart!

*Note: Pal's costume is a Santa Claus.
It was his concoction.
You get used to it.
Especially if you cross your eyes and think 'Tim Burton'.

*Note 2: Perhaps (as Bert suggested earlier), Scarlett has
been in the South one day too long.