Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Seasons

Today I finally got to pack lunches! I also got to kiss the boys, hand them their books, make them late by taking their picture, and yell as they drove down the lane to their first day of 'public' school in eight years, "CALL ME IF YOU GET BORED!". It was so exciting! I even got a few eye rolls in return. I felt just like Pinocchio when he exclaims, "I'm a real boy!" Or in my case, "a real mom!"
And then after the euphoria peaked, I hopped back in bed. The others? Neh. It's August for pete's sake! There's still camping to be done, lakes to swim in, woods to explore, leaves to magnify and burn, spiders to examine, eggs to fry on the roof, pictures to paint, Anne of Green Gables to watch, clouds to stare at, and hummingbirds to catch.
Desks?
Now?
Are you kidding me??

Alright, alright, I admit to having read one too many Gene Stratton-Porter books, but I can't argue with the scripture I ran across this morning:

"Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart." D&C 59:18.

Hear, Hear!

So, that is what we're doing for the next few weeks as the heat finally dissipates; enjoy the season.

As for the older boys? Well, there is another scripture about seasons that tweaks my memory:

"To every thing there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven; A time to get and a time to lose; a time to keep and a time to cast away."

I hope you boys enjoy every last bit of your college season.
It's such exciting times for the both of you, and I couldn't be any prouder of the young men you've become.

Sniff, sniff. I'm even crying a little on their first day. Right now, to be specific. See? I told you I was a real mom!