Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Rambling, what I do best.

Today I was on my walk and heard a new bird call. It sounded like a bird was out there trying to play the game 'Pit' and nobody would trade with him, because they knew he had the bear. He called, "Three..................................Three................................three three three three three THREE." It made me laugh. I hollered back, "Five!" He shut up. I was sad the game was over so quickly. Then I came home and sprayed the weeds and grass. By the time I was done, I was soaked. Who am I kidding, I was plastered with sweat before I even started. The thought came to me that a 'wet t-shirt' contest was not the brainchild of somebody who had a bucket poured over them, or even from swimming. It was simply because a woman walked out her door in the South one summer morning, and 'presto', new contest.
Anyway, while I was spraying weeds, Calder was spraying bugs, off our garden plants. They were getting a little out of control. Words are not enough;




Impressive, don't you think? Lest you think our whole garden looks that way, let me "wow" you with the supper we made from it below. We have spinach boiling on the back burner, beans on the front, along with a zuchinni/onion/squash medley. Maddie is holding a bouqet of cilantro, and Calder a peck of blackberries. (Peck? I don't really know what a peck is, but it had a nice ring to it. And we're not really going to eat them, because Pal is going to squash them into ink for the quill he found; compliments of the resident buzzard.) All they need to top it off is a little protein. I'm thinking there's plenty of that catepillar to sautee and go around. Do not be confused. The boys are in Civil War regalia (complete with hockey stick rifle), while Maddie is not. Her bonnet matched her clothes so cutely, it was worn as an outfit.



Enough of our somewhat successful garden. Yesterday Hy and I were cooling off in his pool at the side yard. It was a "Cooker" I felt like any minute somebody was going to say, "Wipe your brow and go to Harvest Moon", that's from 'The Farmer's Game'. (Jim Gaffigan would do his silly little voice now and say, "What's up with all the games?" And I don't know. I'm just rambling, remember?) Anyway, Hy was without a diaper. The ratio of urine to unchlorinated water had just about reached out of my comfort zone, and I was disengaging my feet when Calder ran up to me with this in his hand;


He catches many things. But even I had to admit that this was really cool. He wrote this letter to his cousin Ande a few hours later:


Hello.
I caught a hummingbird and wanted to show it to you.. It flew away right after. I have pictures of a cardinal and dove I caught to.
Love, Calder

Although he does have a picture of both, I could only find the one of the cardinal....


This was Ande's reply;

I just saw Calder’s e-mail. Your kids are Dr. Doolittle, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and Uncle Bert all rolled into one when it comes to animals. WHO CATCHES A HUMMINGBIRD?! I didn’t know that was even POSSIBLE!! Don’t they fly a million miles and hour?! Way to go Calder!


Isn't she sweet? (Thanks for replying Ande) As I was thinking of her response today (while on my walk...thus bringing us full circle) I decided I had better burst her bubble. I was trying to decide if Calder really was a Dr. Doolittle and came to the conclusion 'he is not'. It's just Oklahoma. There are so many blooming things living here, and sharing/pushing/shoving for space, that the law of averages was bound to happen sooner or later. I also have further proof for my conclusion. Although Calder does catch many, many cool things, some of them he catches in a very un-Dr.Doolittle, un-JaneGoodall type fashion.