Paladin -"Mom, can I go hunt some squirrels?"
Me - "Yes, if you skin them and feed them to the dog when you are finished. Also, Dad saw three cottonmouths yesterday so wear a whistle. If you get bit, don't run home. Walk as calmly as you can, blowing the whistle, and I'll come pick you up on the four wheeler."
Paladin - "Why?"
Me - "To keep the venom from circulating too quickly. Only use the whistle in case of emergency, and do not cry wolf! Do you understand?"
Paladin - "Yes. ... Hey, Mom?"
Me - "What?"
Paladin - "Would it be an emergency if I only injure the squirrel and it runs off, instead of killing it dead?"
Me - "...............................................................................................................
Ok-
Let's start over.
The whistle is not for 'emergencies', it's simply for snake bites."
Paladin - "Oh. Okay. Got it. See-ya!"
Making a bone hatchet
- in case the arrow just stuns the squirrel
Practicing his aim
Hatchet - check
club - check
Bow and arrow - check
fish knife - check
Whistle - double check
*Disclaimer-No squirrels were harmed in the writing of this blog.