Friday, September 27, 2013

Don't count your chickens... Just don't.

Dear Missing Children,
   One of the highlights of the week has been that I got some chickens.  Did I tell you this already?  They have the cutest little house.  I'm in love with it.  But Hydn is actually in love with the chickens themselves.  He watches them ALL. DAY. LONG.  That is not an exaggeration.  He goes out even in 108 degree humidity heat, and he and Easel watch them intently.  They are as fascinated with them as you once were with pandas or sloths.   However, I think Easel has more sinister intentions than mere fascination.  Anyway, since there are four of them, all of the kids that were home got to name one - and Pal two.  Pal's names are:  'Bette' and 'Claude'.  Maddie's chicken is: 'Strider', and Hydn's is my favorite: 'BE STRONG!'  (Said with extra emphasis.)


Dear Cache,
  This week has brought us some tragic news....  I left the chicken coop door open and the next morning when I went out to check them before anybody got up I found, much to my dismay, that 'BE STRONG!' was missing!!  In her wake she left a trail of feathers for me to follow to her unfortunate demise.  I was panic stricken.  "Seriously?  BE STRONG had to be the one to pay the price of my negligence?!  Was this some kind of ironic joke???"  I was dreeeaaadddiiinnnggg the confession I would have to make when Hydn woke up.  I quickly text Dad and asked if he had a spare (white) chicken hanging around the clinic.  I told him to call out for 'BE SALVATION' and see if he heard an answering cluck - You never know, cuz I'd been praying awfully hard!  No such luck.  Aunt Jane said she had a whole flock of 'BE SALVATION'S' but unfortunately she wasn't sure they could make the 2,000 mile trek.  It was up to me to buck up and take responsibility.  What I underestimated was the Ellsworth gene.  I haltingly told him the news, but was only given a shoulder shrug and a "meh- circle of life" look in response.  Just in case though, I let him help me make Snickerdoodles that afternoon.  He even got to squish them.  So  ... we're all good! (and these photos make me laugh every single time, from the three legged dog chasing the boy, to the boy chasing that running, squawking, chicken's butt.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.)


Dear Calder,
  As I was sitting here contemplating life, and death, and 'BE STRONG', it occured to me just how truly fitting the initials BS were for him. I thought maybe you would enjoy comtemplating it too.

Dear Mom,
Wow.  You have very deep thoughts.

Dear Calder,
  I know, right?  Thank you for noticing.
 

Jesse - no worries - we have a new 'Be Strong'

Dear kids,
  Because every chicken deserves to be rocked in the morning-
Love,
Mom and Hy