Sunday, January 27, 2013

Ozark Camping

  I'm posting these pics before I loose them like last year's camp photos.  I lost pics of raccoon poop all over the interior of our car (left the windows open two inches - TWO INCHES - and that's what happens during the middle of the night), I lost pics of Hydn fishing and catching his own butt, I lost pics of the kids' trying to be obnoxious so nobody would camp beside us, and I lost pics of the pot of crawdads we caught.  Lesson learned!  Although these aren't quite as entertaining, I'd be sad to loose them too.

Snail Races

I think they kept us entertained for two solid mornings.  
It's an intricate business to hunt, buy, sell, and trade top contenders.

I'm relieved we didn't find any fighting cocks;
 it would be sad to send three of my boys to juvie.

I chose NW Arkansas, not only for the fall leaves, 
but because I had always wanted to see the Pea Ridge Civil War Battleground.  
I did not expect to stumble on this little gem-.
 Prairie Grove Battleground.
  Bonus!
  None of the pictures do it justice. 
 The beauty and historical significance took my breath away
 -and so did climbing the hill behind them.

Another bucket list item kicked?  
Yes, indeed.
(Be gentle in your thoughts of this pic-
 don't forget that we've been camping.
-And no.  It was not my intention to flip you off.)

A two mile trail at Pea Ridge. 

Fall colors that the camera doesn't do justice-
Red, Gold, Purple, Orange, and Green




The battlefield at Pea Ridge.
If it was your day to die, I can't think of a more beautiful spot to do it.

Nobody around but us.
It was a great day.



And then the highlight?
Well, I thought it would be me reading classic horror stories, for Halloween, by firelight.
But I only succeeded in scaring myself.
Apparently The Monkey's Paw, and The Headless Horsemen 
just aren't what they used to be.
However, an albino squirrel found the next morning made up for it.

Great time.
Highly recommend it.
The end.