Saturday, July 18, 2009

Justin's Europe

I loved hearing/seeing Europe through both of the boys' eyes. It was almost better than seeing it firsthand. (Cache is still away, so I'll do his Europe later) But Justin has given me permission to share his emails and postcards - which I have interspersed between a few photographs he took - so you could see it, through him, the way I did. Although this post is 98% pure Justin, he wasn't in the mood to help me choose which pictures to use. That's my doing, I chose what I remember him talking about the most, and they're probably in the wrong order.... In fact, I know they are, but they're close! Also, some of the pictures need a doting Mother's explanation. When I am speaking - but mainly retelling something Justin told me - I will always use (parentheses).

(For instance - This is one of Justin's favorite pictures that he photographed before his camera broke It was also one of the favorite landmarks he visited. Notre Dame)

(We received this email the day of Justin's departure.)
Hey mom and dad- I just wanted again to say THANKYOU. I know you are both giving up alot for this and I can't help but just picture the book Fanny's Dream. I truly am indebted and grateful. This is an awesome and once in a lifetime experience. I promise I won't forget postcards (might forget the postage stamps though).
I love you both
Justin

(Justin and Jessica Lawrence - a friend from California- on a bridge at night in Florence)

(This was one of Justin's favorite moments. Again on the bridge in Florence, a Mandela playing in the background with his long lost buddies... He said it just seemed like all was right in the World that night.)

(Postcard from Rome)
Hey Dad!
I loved the Sistine. Amazing. I can't get over the ceiling. It's a lot bigger than I expected, but most said just the opposite. Look up God Creating the Sun, moon, and planets. I think it's my fav panel. Love U Justin - (If you look up the full panel you can see that M. painted God's backside. He thought it looked like God was a little rushed to get somewhere else and he thought it was funny.)

(Justin took this picture especially for his Dad. He liked the sculpture and he thought Bert would too.)


(Water Ferry to Venice)


(Postcard from Assisi)
Yup! The same city that St. Francis hailed from. The city is all on a hill. Everything is stone. There is an old cool Roman temple of Minerva that was converted into a Catholic church. Oh, an speaking of churches... I think Jesus needs to come down and throw out the money changers again. Seriously, there's a gift shop in each one and you can pay to light a candle in front of a crucifix or a Madonna. (I lit one at St. George) But what killed me the most was at the Basilica commemorating Francis there was electronic candles there. I mean drop a coin and one of the plastic flames lit up. It flickers out after a couple hours. Truly disgusting. Love Justin

(Ceiling in cathedral of Canterbury)

(Windsor Castle)

(He took a picture of these crows by the Tower of London. In studying for Europe this year we ran across the legend of the crows. It's said if they ever leave this area, England will cease to exist. During WWII they clipped their wings and kept some below the tower just to be safe..., he thought we would enjoy seeing they are there in actuality)


(Tower Bridge of London)


(Good friends David Short, Dani Lauricella, and Jessica Lawrence on the streets of Bath)

Boungiorno Paladin! (Postcard from Roman Colosseum)
I saved the best for last. This is where all the great Gladiators fought against each other, or sometimes lions and bears. Instead of going to the movies they watched the fighters in this round building. Oh, and they fought until someone died. Me and Cache acted out a play battle. That's why I'm the only one writing. Can't wait to see you again, Justin


(A girl commented on facebook about this photo. She said, "Yeah, that little pow-wow happened A LOT on the trip. Cache, Justin, and Liz always being the only ones knowing where to go and what to see next. Ahhh...so proud.)
Hey Guys (Postcard from England)
Europe is Fantastic! Yesterday we saw Buckingham Palace and the English guards marching. Then we rode around in a bus touring London then finally we drove to Windsor Castle. Inside we saw some of the royal treasure, drawings of DaVinci, and the Queen Mary's Dollhouse. It had tiny working plumbing, cars, little legible books written by Dickens. It was cool. But the chapel there (St. George's) was my favorite by far. The picture on front is one of many little enclaves of tombs. This one used marble draperies that would have killed Michelangelo but I loved the effect. Today our bags finally arrived so I'm now wearing a different clothes for once. Right now I'm on the bus to Stonehenge. I'm excited. London the city was cool but I'm ready to see the country. Love you guys - Justin


(The tour group - odds were in the boy's favor...)

(Notre Dame again)

(Back of Notre Dame)

(Dani and Justin behind the London Opera House. Did I mention I'd take Dani for a daughter in law any day of the week? No pressure though guys...)
(Big Ben of London)

(Hall of Mirrors in Versailles where Treaty of Versailles was signed)

(Justin narrowed his favorite sculpture down to Cupid and Psyche in the Louvre)

Mom ( Postcard from the Pantheon in Rome),
This church was one of the best in Rome. It was built by Hadrian in 140ish. and is the oldest well maintained church in the World. It was originally a temple to all Gods (now Jesus and Mary take the spotlight). The coolest thing is a giant hold in the center of the roof 'the oculus' which illuminates the whole building. Raphael wanted to be buried there when he died. I don't blame him, Santa Croce is nothing special. I miss you all very much. Justin

(Justin took this picture especially for me. He knows I'm fascinated with draperied sculptures. I LOVE'em!)

Sorry for the terrible handwriting! (Postcard from Paris)
Cache chose the postcard. I
disapprove and think it doesn't do Paris justice. I love Paris! I've already eaten four crepes. The building on the front is the tomb for many famous frenchies like Madam Curie, Victor Hugo and Louis Braille. There are gardens everywhere and all sorts of people in them. Today we went to the top of the Eiffel tower but it was raining and we were in a cloud. It was still way amazing though. After that we took a boat cruise down the river Seine that runs straight through Paris. Amazing. I wish you guys were here. You'd love it. Love, Justin


Three in a row!
I promise I do much better when I have time to compose my thoughts instead of rushing in 15 min segments. My ACT proves this.
Alright first of all, It's Bonjour for France and Boungiorno for Italy. And on that note I have to tell you something funny about the french. They will only speak to tourists if you begin with 'Desolae, Jemme pal paw francais.' (Sorry, I don't speak french.) Otherwise no one seems to know english. Groft told how one time he was in a rush and shouted at a frenchie Parlay vous Anglay? (Do you speak english?) and the french guy said in a huff 'No. Mi parlay fran-cais!)
Im at my hotel in Padua, (isn't that where they had some Shakespeare play?) and its a bit expensive but I wanted to read your emails in greater detail. The hotel is really nice. Like beday (?) nice. You stick your key card inside the wall to make your electricity pop on. We're on the first floor and thus having fun bouncing on the beds.
My camera broke in Versailles, Paris. The LCD screen wouldn't work. I guess it was too rough in my pocket/bag. That was the day I got homesick and called you, but it sucks. I did run out of memory though *cough* so its just as well. Most people here take alot of the same pictures, and we're all bound by a oath to facebook them all.
I can't belive how the climate, people, culture, language, architecture and art can all change so suddenly within a few hours. Even though I've covered just as much ground in the US each country and town is perfectly unique.
My current roomate is the exact clone of Adam. Without the broadway/japanese/internet influence.
Cache's opinionated roommate Josh is from Vegas. Today we found out that he's the younger brother to both Tyler and Shannon from Spanish block.
I mostly wandered the streets of Venice alone. I found an ooolld bookstore of all kinds of books from many different languages. There were broken gondolas filled with odds and ends. The old lady running it was funny too.
Tomorrow is church and then sleep on the bus. Oh, and crossiants and nutella in the morning. Florence, Santa Croce (michaelangelo and other florentines were buried there), and Gelato are on the list for tomorrow.
How is everyone doing? Who's bed did Margaret pick?
Let me know. I bet there's internet on the cruise or something. Im way excited for florence. I hope I'm not running out of money. I bet I am. There's no checking balance here so Im crossing fingers from here on out.
Grocery stores are amazing. I can't belive it took me so long to figure that out.
I'm saving 10 mins for dani. She gave me a euro cause I was short. Cache owes everyone here it seems. Alright Arrivederci.

(Arc de' Triomphe)

(In front of Moulin Rouge)


(Postcard to Hydn from Rome)
I figured Hy could have one too. These aren't the best postcards but now I have a bunch. I saw Peters prison, the cross was upside down, symbolic of his death. - Justin

(Justin took this photo off the Opera House. He thought Bert, Hy, and I would appreciate it.)

(This was in the London Museum. He explained it was a clock that sat on a long table of food at a noble's party. As time wore on, the clock would make its way across the table. When the set amount of time had passed it would stop it's trek and emit firecrackers from the canons on it's side, signaling to everyone 'Go Home!')


Hey! You sound a bit lonely. I'm out in a shady internet cafe in the back of venice and my time left is counting down, so i have to make it quick.
Too funny about sis cain, i can't believe that. It sounds like our house is Versailles (sp?). You're entertaining way too many guests. You just need a golden fence around your bed so they can watch you wake up in the morning.
Oh dear. 2:42 mins left.
Today we rode in a gondola. I LOVE Italy. Such a change from Switzerland. I'm eating real pizza and gelato (amazing) I gave up on postcards- the stamps didn't work. BUT know that I am buying them and writing them.
I'm going to buy more minutes love, ju


Maddie. (Postcard of Trevi Fountain in Rome)
This is the prettiest fountain in Rome. Everyone goes here to make a wish. Two coins thrown over your shoulder does the trick. Over here in Italy there is amazing, wonderful ice cream called gelato. I've had one a day since I've been here. Today I had grapefruit and pesche (peach). It was in a great big gelaterie w/all kinds of flavors. When I was in Pisa I got pistachio and it tasted exactly like it. Kinda nasty. See you soon. Justin




Switzerland is Fantastic!
By far the most scenic and serene country I've been too. I feel very safe nestled between teh alps. Everyone here has flower gardens and cute houses. I stole some Alpine flowers and pressed them in my Agony (finished it at the airport). The people here all have to have suitable bomb shelters. We climbed up Mount Pilates. It's said Pilate threw himself off while seeking redemtion. I'm out of space. Love you guys. Justin




(Swiss Alps)

Sorry, my thoughts seem to be scattered across both hemispheres.
London- Awesome when I first got there but dull in looking back. I went to les miserables, Dani went ahead and bought another ticket anyway. Then everyone (cache and jess) tried to bail on her and she was thinking of balching it too, because she could just see it in the states later.
Paris- Surprisingly- I loved it. Crepes were amazing and the Louvre was spectacular. Your love for art and museums rubbed off on me. I could spend months in there but had to cover it in a few hours.
Switerland- Gorgeous. Alps. Country. Prude people. Flowerboxes. Clocks. Trains. Gardens. Lakes (we swam in one of the freezing glacier lakes).
I'm running out of time again :(
Im getting really tired of bread. Thats all i eat. And lots of chocolate.
I got a swiss knife for calder. Now I have to get everyone else something.
I saw glass blowing this morning. He made a horse in a mere 30 sec with a peice of glowing blob. It was awesome. But everything is 'caro' (Pretty but expensive)

(Justin, Dani, and Jessica)

(While they were in Switzerland they attended a demonstration at a perfume factory. During the presentation they had a quiz for all in attendance, the winner would get a prize. The quiz was to see who could list the countries in the European Union and their capitols the fastest. WAY TO GO JUSTIN!! I'm smelling pretty....)


(In front of the Louvre)

(same)

Hey! I miss you guys. I just bought a huge postcard book off a street vendor and I sent each of you one. They weren't anything great but they're pretty cheap for all the postcards I got.
The Vatican was the biggest highlight and dissapointment to the trip. I LOVED the sistine chapel. Most people here were expecting much more, but I still can't belive it. The ceiling is huge. The last judgement wasn't bad either. The wall paintings, sad to say, by boticelli, pergino (sp?) and ghirlandaio I barely glanced at. You can tell the difference and the genius of michaelangelo.
BUT we completely skipped over the raphael stanzas. That was a big bummer. They should have definitely scheduled more time in rome / vatican.
Shoot. I clicked the backspace button and it went on a frenzy after some of my fresh sentances. I can't remember now.
Then the pope decided to close St. Peters. No Dome. No Pieta. Very sad.
Today was pretty sweet. Pompeii was amazingly preserved. There were mosaics saying 'beware of dog', houses, bakeries, streets, brothels, frescoes, and baths. It was kinda creepy and very insightful. I just came from rome to which was very different. There was very old ruins next to new buildings. Here it was a perfect ghostown that no one had built onto. Imagine Calico vs. Bodie.
How's Kate? It's good that you're/ we're getting into the community. Can't wait to here about that. I need to go into the creation museum for sure.
What else...
I think I'm okay money wise. Money is still coming out of the ATM machine which is all I care about.
As for my camera, Its really hard to take pictures without the settings. Memory cards are pretty expensive here too. It sucks, mabye I'll find a disposible one somewhere. Got to go. Miss you all. Not enough to come home yet though. I'm scared and excited for Greece it's the only one I don't know what to expect. Love you, Justin


(Ephesus - where Paul taught the Ephisians)

Hey Cache hogged all the time! I'll try to call. Greek nights tonight. I bought a pretty awesome shirt for it. I found out that I'm about as good at haggling as Dad is (which means NOT). Love you guys, Justin



(Greece - Belly dancing on stage for Greek night)


(Topaki Palace, Turkey)
Laptop doesn't rally work right. skips all arou ggot to go. love the monastary on patmos where johnn prophesied!
miss you lots.
love justin

(Listening to Acts 17 on Mars Hill where Paul taught the Athenians)
(Acropolis of Athens with Smiths. I got a call from Jen, the mother in this picture, two days after the boys got home. She wanted to call and let me know just how wonderful both boys were. Justin had gone out of his way to befriend them both and visit with everyone. She said they had made a deep impression on her and many others and that she thought as a mother I might want to know that. What a parent pay-day and what a kind thing of her to do.)
(Attending a carpet demonstration in Istanbul while politely sipping apple tea)
(Swimming off Island of Rhodes, Greece - Justin said he's not even trying to float, it's all salt)

Jesse (Postcard from Rome)

Did you finish Angels and Demons yet? This fountain is in it. Very awesome. I think Bernini is my fav sculptor. The piazza that its in now was an old cariot racetrack. You can't see it in the pic but there is a lion that has his legs spread apart drinking the four great rivers representing Nile, Amazon...I forgot the others. Love Justin

(on board cruise ship of Greece Islands)

(Rhodes)
(Spice market in Istanbul)
(Santorini, Greece - possible sight of Atlantis - This island is in the possible vicinity of Pliny the younger's description of Atlantis. The Greeks feel that this is the sight it would be. The island behind them makes a crescent shape around to where they are standing. It is volcanic and a large caldera has fallen away in the center, making the waters rush in and the rest of the crescent stay above water. The cliffs go straight down and there is only one place to moor a boat because it is so steep. They have dated this volcanic eruption to roughly the same time as Moses' miracles in Egypt and feel that the volcano - that possibly took away Atlantis- may have also have helped in the miracles in Egypt.
(The way to get up and down the steep cliffs)


(They even made it to ASIA!! The Asian side of Istanbul)

(A very long trip, makes for very tired people)

I need a present for Grandpa dad and pal still... anyu ideas?




(Justin brought us each home something unique to us, and what he thought we would like. Jesse got sketches from Louvre, Maddie a fan from Venice, Calder a Swiss army knive, Pal an Arabian Knights knife from Turkey, Bert a good luck charm from Turkey and a St. Francis of Assissi pendant, Me a rosary from Rome and a tryptych from Patmos.)

We loved every last gift and thoughtful gesture, Justin. Thanks for sharing with me.
I love you too,
Mom