


Bert and the kids let me take a handful of pictures before they made me put the camera away so we could get on with it and see things before dark. We easily walked off the eight pounds of jerky and five pound bucket of licorice we'd eaten to get us there. Sadly, by around nine, Pal's little bladder could take no more. We had to find a bathroom and quick. I hate hidden bathrooms. I like the flashing neon ones. I've never thought it a good idea to 'blend' them in with the scenery. When you need a bathroom, you do not feel like playing a game of 'Where's Waldo'. There was no bathroom to be found. We looked everywhere! Good for us that as we were driving we saw the rest of the monuments we hadn't yet made it to, Ford's Theatre, and the Supreme Court. However, after that we had to give up and drive 20 miles to our hotel, before Pal's head exploded. Then we ate. And then the younger kids and I fell in an exhausted heap. Bert laid down by me and whispered, "I think the older kids would like to go back. Do you think I should take them?" Translated this means; "I really, really want to go back and hit some sights we missed. Would you be extremely angry, or just kind of angry, if I took the older three as an excuse? Because I'm willing to risk the 'kind of angry'." My jealousy was easily enough abated.


Did you know that at three o'clock in the morning you may not look your best....

But there's absolutely nobody left to notice, that time of night, at the monuments in Washington D.C. ...

The next morning we were at it again. Our first stop was Bull Run (Manassass). It was my favorite battlefield. It was so peaceful... and how can you help but love the place where Stonewall got his name?


I'm hoping that since it was my favorite, nobody will take too much offense when we were a little sacrilegious. Those fences were just calling their names...

The rest of the day was dedicated to Gettysburg.

Gettysburg is huge. The fields are covered in monuments. I couldn't decide if I liked to pay tribute in that way or not. Was it just a big competition to see which regiment could 'out statue' the next? I decided not to wonder about it. Instead I picked out my favorite one. This was it. It is a statue of a fallen Southern soldier. The 'Spirit of the Confederacy' is rising from his lifeless body. Good job, regiment .... uh. See? It didn't even work. I don't remember whose it was.

Hy liked this one.

Cache found his hero's marker.

But this one would win

It was a beautiful afternoon.

The next day Gettysburg was followed by Valley Forge. Hmm. Well, Bert enjoyed it.

Then we headed towards Philadelphia.



The bell. Yeah, not much, but aren't the Jewish boys cute?

I'd been dying to eat at a tavern since Jefferson's place. We found the famous one where all the delegates discussed the events of the day, and ate. We looked at the prices and thought maybe we could order a drink or two and a couple of salads.

The ambiance was superb.


But I can save you a pretty penny. There is a reason we no longer serve vinegar in water.

And then, and then WE WERE FINALLY THERE!!
But that's it's own post.
So we'll just finish the rest of the trip up below.
On our way home we literally stumbled across this little place. Lincoln's boyhood home, ages 7-21. We felt like we'd won the lottery and didn't even buy a ticket. It was great. Below is the picture of the foundation of their home, and a replica.


This is his mother's grave a few yards up the path. In case you were wondering the man taking our picture had seven children as well. Funny coincidence, don't you think?

And here they've made a pretty little memorial walk. It's about a mile long and stops every once in awhile at a stone, taken from the 'milestone's' of Lincoln's life. One rock is a brick from the White House. One rock is from Appomattox Court House. Etc...

Here's the rock from Gettysburg, with Jesse giving her rendition of the speech I guess.

What a great trip. THANK YOU ABE!! Our hero.
P.S. Somewhere along the way we stopped at McDonald's. When we got out to stretch, it was to the kids' delight that we had hit upon Scranton. As in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Home of "The Office". Jesse is doing a "woot, woot" dance.

Our devotion was amply rewarded. We caught a glimpse of Meredith! See? Just a magical trip, all the way around.