Thursday, July 16, 2009

West Point!

Pictures (especially our blurry- for some unbeknown reason- pictures) do not do this place justice. It simply is magnificent. I'm feeling bad for Abe. I miss it for him.


We gathered early in the morning to 'plan'. (It was about the only shade we saw for the rest of the day.)

We passed this statue of George warning you, "not to go in the mess hall" several times.



We stood over the Hudson River and gloated that we were actually there.



We took a walk to all of the historic markers and sights. Ray thought he would give Hy a "being there" type experience.



Hy was not impressed.



Not to worry Ray, the rest of us really like you.



Then the parade began. Wow. Again, pictures just aren't describing it.



But, we'll always remember it.


Well, some of us will.


After the parade, we met up with Abe - some of us faster than others. :)



Then we walked down to the River for a picnic.


When we were ready to go again, Abe and Grace took us for a walk to kissing rock. I think that's what it's called.


Some were more accepting than others.


It would appear he's a chip off the old block.



We got back in time to put on more deodorant and head out for the evening, which included a formal dinner for the adults. The kids ate supper at Grant Hall (can't believe I didn't get a picture) and then they went to the park to wait for us.


Abe gave each of us girls a rose. The speaker was excellent, the food was excellent, and the night was just wonderful.


The next day was another early one, to get to our seats in time for the graduation ceremony. We were even able to pick out Abe's head in that sea of short hair.


The cadets threw their caps in the air to celebrate. They left money and a note for small kids to find. Maddie and Pal did very well..


Then we walked back to Abe's dorm to watch him load up.

While we waited (for another great picnic), Ray taught my children to be thieves. The cookies were worth it, but I wonder if it cancelled out all the honor and integrity lessons that being at West Point were supposed to teach.


The tie pinning ceremony came last. I think it was my favorite part, and I don't have one single picture. Jane and Calvin pinned Abe, and then Abe gave a very eloquent speech of thanks. I don't think I can say it enough, "it was just beautiful". The whole trip was. We're so proud of you Abe. Congratulations.







Please ignore this little part.... I tried to move pictures from Jane's newsletter, but it didn't work. And now this won't erase. I would flunk a computer course.
Subscribe Search Sign Out