I was visiting my sister Jane one recent summer and helping her in the kitchen. I am not known for my talent in that arena, but like a good guest (and no matter how much I hate it), I was trying to be of help. My sister said something to the effect of "crack that egg in there for me, would you?" I confusedly looked around and saw a frying pan with water in it. I wondered to myself, "Do you think she means in there? I've never cracked an egg and cooked it in water before, but I think I have heard of that somewhere. I think it must be what they call a poached egg or something. Yes, I'm sure that's it." Then I did as she asked, being very proud that I even knew what poached eggs were. I was sure my skills in the kitchen were improving, and what a perfect opportunity I had just had to prove it (even though I wasn't sure what part poached eggs played in making cookies.) Jane would certainly be surprised, and pleased with me that I hadn't had to ask twice. Inwardly smug, and smiling to myself, Jane turned around and saw what I had done. Then she burst out laughing and "affectionately" called me Amelia Bedelia. To this day, I still don't know what I did wrong or where she wanted that egg cracked, but I'm smart enough to know that I obviously failed her in the kitchen. And, I haven't improved much since. After all, it was only one summer ago. But, be that as it may, last month Jesse and I decided to venture out and make a recipe in her newsletter. We love her newsletter dearly, and read it faithfully, except for that part - it's usually skipped. But this time we decided since she had pictures to go with it, we couldn't go wrong. We were right. We didn't. Our cherry bread turned out beautifully. It was as much a surprise to us, as it was to the rest of the family. We were so proud of it we sent some with Justin to work. They liked it at work too. They asked us to make more. Justin laughingly told us they hinted at catering their Christmas party. We laughed and laughed, so happy we'd had a success. What a funny, funny joke. But then.... Then we opened this letter today and realized; they were serious:From: Vicki Nichols
> Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 8:34 AM
> To: Justin Ellsworth
> Subject: Christmas Party
>
> Justin,
>
> Will you please ask your sister/mother to bring in a menu of what they would
> like to bring for the Christmas Party on December 17th.
>
> We usually prepare for around 75 people.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vicki Nichols
> Operations/Personal Banker
> Bokchito Branch
AAACK!! And AAACK again! It's like having your dream of going to church in your underwear come TRUE.
Our mirth is slightly overshadowed by a sick, churning feeling in the pit of our stomachs. Could this really be happening? Jane, you got us into this mess. Would a visit from you, around say, December 15-18 work? If not, I'm afraid they'll be sorely disappointed when we turn in the menu of cherry bread.... and poached eggs.
If we threw in a few cocktail wienies - soaked in bbq sauce of course - would that throw them off our trail?