Replica of Abe Lincoln's boyhood home
Summer 2009
Summer 2009

Previous posts would indicate that I'm not above bribery..., but let me give a brief background explanation:
To make life easier on me, the younger kids (age 8 - 13) all study the same topic, at the same time. However, different capabilities require different assignments; reading assignments being one of those. Right now, and for the next two months, we are learning about the Civil War. And with that topic, they are already a little swamped in their reading requirements. Each of them is assigned to read a biography of one Civil War general, as well as a novel of that time period. We do those together, so that Pal can reach the goal. Our (heavy on the mother) vote decided Stonewall Jackson by Jean Fritz, and Rifles for Watie by Harold Kieth would be the two read alouds (both excellent books!) Maddie must add to that list another biography - she chose one on General Robert E. Lee. And Calder adds yet another biography, John Brown Fiery Vision, along with Uncle Tom's Cabin.
So..., to add another book to their pile (not including the book pile for their math/science course) puts a lot of pressure on them. But, as mentioned above, bribery is a very strong, desirable home school tool that I both employ and highly recommend. And since none of them chose this book out of the listed options,
I pulled out the stand by, time honored technique. It's that good.
Here's the plan.
I pulled out the stand by, time honored technique. It's that good.They dream something like this:

Funds are an important part in making up the difference (It's obvious we need to work a little harder on logic and reasoning skills so that next time they can more accurately calculate the talent factor into the equation.)
I made them a deal...
If they would read this favorite book of mine, (AND memorize O Captain! My Captain!) with all of their other stuff (no time limit), they could each earn fifteen dollars towards making their dream come true. They drive a hard bargain, but after throwing in a Cookies and Cream Hershey Bar, the hand has been spit on and shook, and the deal is set. We worked together today to get them a head start by reading the first two chapters. While I read, they made pretzel log cabins.

I made them a deal...
If they would read this favorite book of mine, (AND memorize O Captain! My Captain!) with all of their other stuff (no time limit), they could each earn fifteen dollars towards making their dream come true. They drive a hard bargain, but after throwing in a Cookies and Cream Hershey Bar, the hand has been spit on and shook, and the deal is set. We worked together today to get them a head start by reading the first two chapters. While I read, they made pretzel log cabins.
So they decided to make other Lincoln memorabilia instead. Quicker and easier items; like a tall, pretzel Lincoln standing next to a short McClellan.

