Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thanks

Although not of Haitian proportions; it still felt like the week from hell. I lost a diamond out of my wedding ring -with no chance of a speedy replacement, my car broke down five miles from home -with no cell phone, I spent a long, cold night in the car -when my son missed his flight home, and I had to listen to the State of the Union speech (while remembering a very funny joke) -without cracking a smile ...because that might be racist, or at the very least not P.C. So a great big "THANKS!!" to each and every one of you for your timely comments, they were much appreciated!
In all fairness, I did receive a very nice apology from the family member. But, it spiraled out of control with the other. When I ever so politely ;) thought it prudent to remind my Christian friend, who happens to be a government teacher, and who like wise accused me of being part of the uneducated masses, that we "have a republic and not a democracy" (because I thought that might be of value to her when she gets around to teaching it) she responded with this:

"Oh, and you were right about one thing. Our founding fathers were afraid of democracy, they enslaved millions of people and reserved the right to vote and citizenship for the small white male elite. How enlightened they were!"

The original complaint of "having respect for the office," apparently doesn't extend to the men who created the office. Which is weird... Scary too.
Although part of me would love to warn you about the school district she works for; I think it would be more beneficial, no matter your political persuasion, if I convinced you to check- and then double check exactly what your children may or may not be being taught. And then, instead of assuming they know the facts (as I am guilty of), make them fully, unutterably, without a doubt, aware of them and where you stand. Because, right or wrong, nobody else will. And they're going to need your viewpoint (nobody, and I mean nobody has a corner on education). They were sent to you for a reason.

My, that was a mighty tall soap box. I'll try not to let my nose bleed on you.