
We just finished To Kill a Mockingbird as a family read aloud for the umpteenth time. The other day, Justin- who is out of the nest in this area (so to speak)- saw what we were reading and said, "Don't you have that thing memorized by now?" Sadly, no (I would be a prime candidate for getting stranded on an island with the fabled 'one book'. It wouldn't bother me at all.) I always remember the 'ham' costume, one shot Atticus, Tom Robinson, and Boo Radley very well, but that darn ending continues to elude my memory. In some ways it's a good thing; as I figure I've got to read it aloud two more times before the last one leaves.
With that in mind, I can't recall if the quote below (chapter 23), and it's ensuing discussion, surprised me each time as well. But this time, it certainly left me scratching my head in bewildered, embarrassed, mortified silence.
Jem - "There's four kinds of folks in the world. There's the ordinary kind, like us and the neighbors, there's the kind like the Cunninghams out in the woods, the kind like the Ewells down at the dump, and the Negroes."
Scout - "Naw, Jem, I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."
While I've tried to hit hard on equalities in color, race, and religion as a parent, my many apologies to the Cunninghams and Ewells. I seem to have forgotten you, and have been less than stellar in my example. New year's resolution #7; less 'Jem', more 'Scout'.
-Dang kids.