Saturday, August 1, 2009

Juliette

Dear Jane,
Do you ever wonder when something bad happens, and it totally wipes out what you thought was inspiration? And then you begin to wonder if you ever really get inspiration in the first place? Yeah, me too. That happened today. Remember what I thought a few blog posts ago, about our new puppy? Well, guess not. Juliette died last night. Justin and Jesse accidentally ran over her. I'm just glad Bert was here and we didn't have to watch her die slowly. It was such a sad night. Especially when Pal finally figured out the shot Bert was giving her wasn't to make her all better. Cache and Calder dug the pit. Calder needed something to do while he was hiding his wet eyes from the rest of us, and Cache only knew her a few days. Justin finished taking the missionaries home, and the rest of us cuddled on the couch and had a good cry. But, the scripture in Job keeps coming to mind, "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away..." or some such thing, because Ande had seven new pups yesterday too. Maybe my inspiration isn't really gone. Maybe it just hiccuped or something.
Love, Rachel Dear Jane,
Calder was feeling pretty low. At lunch he came in, sat down on the couch by me, and put his head on my lap. He cried. There had been no cute puppy to follow him on his daily, morning walk. I made him some cupcakes while he was out in the afternoon and put a little sign on them that said, "Dear Calder, I love you. Hope your day goes better." When I got off my date he took my hand and led me outside. He said, "thanks mom" and presented me with this....

It's a huge mushroom that he had found in the forest on his walk. He had taken out a shovel and pot, and re potted it for me to see too. I doubt cupcakes and mushrooms will cure anything, but it was the best we had to offer each other, so it will do.