Monday, August 17, 2009

Firsts

I offered - I begged - I even pleaded to go with Justin to his first day of college today. But history is heartless, and tends to repeat itself; he insisted he was a big boy and ran. He didn't fall for the "I'll take you out to breakfast" line. He didn't give me time to make him a lunch with secret notes tucked inside. He wouldn't let me make cookies for his teachers. He even refused to let me take pictures of him on his first day, by the SOSU sign. He firmly gripped the scissors and cut (except for the laundry, supper, and back rub strings; those are still firmly attached). It was gut wrenching. He did however leave me one little clue to show that he still loves me. He took time to take this photo of the church Miracle Tabernacle on 'Hell' street, because he "thought I would enjoy the irony". It's a good thing I'm good at picking up on cues. Someone else less 'experienced' may have missed that one. And I did enjoy it.
We anxiously awaited for him to get home. He had two classes, Physcology and Music Appreciation, with a half hour break before work, and we couldn't wait to hear all about them. As soon as he came in we peppered him with questions. There was NOTHING in return. He had ZIP. In fact, he seemed down right disappointed. I had tried so hard to warn him. Warn him that it would just be school as normal; that there would be no band playing in the background.... I had also tried to modestly hint that I would be one of the best teachers he would ever have. ;) It seems all was for naught. He has always had to "learn it for himself". I'll hand it to him though, that once learned, the lesson sticks tight. Tomorrow is Biology and Algebra. He's holding out hope that THAT will be the day the fun kicks in. Remember, I said he learns it well after the fact...., projection isn't his strong point.